Monday, May 9, 2011

Fly? No. Shoot? Yes. Bizzare..

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/09/opinion/09mon3.html


This is a very touchy subject with a lot of cultural underpinnings about the American foundation. Not knowing much then I asked a simple question when I was green to the American ways and guns. The question was simple (in an electronic forum), why do people need guns and I distinctly remember one hearty mid-westerner telling me "over my dead fingers". Well I now understand the debate at least, but sometimes still can't stand the bizarre logic behind gun rights, especially weapons that can inflict mass murder. The founding Americans believed in the right to defend themselves from others as well from the state! Historically that meant they needed arms to organize themselves to be able to resist the state. This led to the right to arms clause in the constitution. In the modern age, this has led to lunatics being able to procure and execute weapons that can fire away bullets continuously and inflict not one but mass casulties in one go, which is very very sad and senseless.

No comments:

Post a Comment